Brief: To replace the dry coolers at a critical data centre in north London, without loss of service.
Project value: £250K
Scope of works
- Replacement of four large dry coolers serving a 24-7 data-centre cooling system, where the existing units had become inefficient and the facility no longer retained adequate resilience in its cooling system.
- Provision and organisation of out of hours contract crane lifts
- On-site fabrication of steel pipework and walkways to modify installation to suit new equipment.
- Addition of adiabatic cooling system, controls and water softeners.
- Addition of a temporary generator backed 400kw chiller to supplement the cooling capacity of the glycol circuit via a cross plate heat exchanger, enabling replacement of the dry coolers without loss of resilience to the data centre cooling.
- Dynamic flush and re-dosing of the system was then completed without system down time, to remove bacterial growth and to ensure the correct levels of inhibitors and antifreeze were in place to protect the new dry coolers.